Me A few thoughts from Kat, a newly single resident of Irvine, CA. I go back to New York at least once a year, but love the weather out here in sunny California.

Friends
Meli
Tom
Holz
Kenny
Amber
Becki
Rowan
Fosters
Kate
DaveHo
Mike & Maureen

Links
Kat Views, my review blog
freakwind.com, Craig's website, following his latest novel
David Burnham, star of The Light in the Piazza tour
Eklund's Hockey Buzz, a must read for hockey fans
Puck Podcast, a great weekly hockey podcast
Playbill.com, theatre news online
IMDb, the Internet Movie Database
Netflix, the best way to rent movies
BookCrossing, a great site for releasing books into the wild.
Monday, February 20, 2006

Dude (& Dudette) Weekend 2006
David and I spent this past weekend in Las Vegas, as we normally do for President's Day weekend (except for last year when we'd just moved and had the wedding planning and house stuff keeping us busy). However, this weekend wasn't the normal weekend in Las Vegas for us.

First, it wasn't Valentine's Day weekend as it was the last few times we went to Las Vegas on President's Day weekend.

More importantly, this year our friend Tom (and his wife Meli) organized Dude Weekend 2006. I went to hang out with Melissa, since I really miss her and I figured she'd be alone on the weekend otherwise. As it turns out, Kate was there, too, so it was three women and 6 guys. Mostly Penn Stater's.

It was really cool to meet some of Tom's friends we hadn't met yet (especially Ken, who's also very into hockey, even though it's the Rangers, and who shares my love of the Yankees) and spend some more time with their friends we had already met. It was also cool to hang out with Meli's friend Tricia for the little bit she was there (she was at a bike race most of the weekend supporting a friend).

The weekend was so much fun! We played some poker (Texas Hold-em, which seems to be one of the only things out there lately - I feel so much more with the in crowd in that one now, I'd watched it, but never played Texas Hold-em before). We bowled (which most of us hadn't done in years). I won one of the three rounds we bowled and was never the worst, so I saw that as an amazing feat in a group that was 4 guys, Meli, and me. :-) Poor Melissa was clearly having wrist issues - especially at the end and her scores dropped down as a result. I hope she's feeling okay now, she seemed fine yesterday. We also played Hoopla (by the makers of Cranium), which was a ton of fun. I love the games they make! The guys played Playstation 2 & our Nintendogs (Earl & Beavis) got together. They got along really well and I was able to give Beavis an accessory they hadn't found yet on one of their walks, which was cool. I figured there would be nothing I'd have found that they hadn't, since they've had their Nintendogs & NDS longer than I have, but that wasn't the case. :-)

I'm behind on the Olympics now, of course, but fortunately most of the sports on this past weekend were either sports I don't really care about (other than the results) like cross country skiing & ice dancing and things that I love in the early - mid games (like hockey and curling), so I'm already done with everything that happened before today. This is good, since I've got a nail appointment tomorrow, 700 Sundays on Wednesday, a chiropractor's appointment on Thursday, and a concert on Friday. I won't get to see any Olympics (or anything else, for that matter) on Wednesday or Friday, so it's going to be a while before I can see the news still. Fortunately, David keeps me up on anything major happening.

For those of you at Dude Weekend 2006, it was great to hang out with you. Thanks for letting me join you, even though I'm not a dude. Of course, when I mentioned this to Tom earlier today, he asked who I was kidding and pointed out that I'm a dude with breasts. With my love of sports, poker & other card games (I learned to count playing Blackjack and learned other card games from my dad growing up), etc., I guess I see his point on that one and I'm honored to be included. :-) I also want to thank you all (especially Holtz, who clearly had to bite his tongue yesterday when he read some news online) for not giving away anything about the Olympics to me. I think it's good that none of us are as into the Winter Olympics as we are the Summer Olympics. It would have been much more difficult to wait...

Thank you Tom & Melissa for all the work that went into this weekend. David and I had a great time and I know everyone else did, too! We hope to see you again soon and we're glad you haven't moved too far away yet! Stay close in Vegas. We'll definitely be out there for Frozen Fury 2006 and will surely see you before then.

Of course, no post during the Olympics would be complete without this...

GO USA!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Posted by Kat @ 9:53 PM | 0 meows

Post a Comment

:: Past Thoughts ::
| Nohari Window | Johari Window | Happy Valentine's Day! | TV shows when Olympics are on... | LA Kings & Olympics | 2006 Winter Olympics | Winter Olympics start tonight! | GO STEELERS! | New theatre, movie, etc. review blog | MyHeritage.com |

:: My History ::
| August 2004 | September 2004 | October 2004 | November 2004 | December 2004 | January 2005 | February 2005 | March 2005 | April 2005 | May 2005 | June 2005 | July 2005 | August 2005 | January 2006 | February 2006 | March 2006 | April 2006 | May 2006 | June 2006 | July 2006 | August 2006 | September 2006 | October 2006 | November 2006 | December 2006 | January 2007 | March 2007 | April 2007 | May 2007 | June 2007 | July 2007 | August 2007 | September 2007 | October 2007 | November 2007 | January 2008 |

:: Credits ::
Tenderhearts, modified by me
Tenderhearts' blog
Tenderhearts' WebSite
Image
Blogskins
Blogger
Shh-girl
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com